Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Doll Room Idea


July 24, 2014--Taking a break from writing my novel.

Oops, my hubby read my doll blog last night. Even though I bought most of my new dolls with gift cards, Mike is convinced that more doll collecting just means more to move. He's right. We don't know how long we will be in Santa Fe...depends on Mike's job. Anyway, I'm going to refrain from buying anymore dolls. Wish me luck!

In our new house in the Teton Valley, Mike has promised to build a doll room in the basement. The picture above would be a perfect doll room, with some adjustments:

#1--All shelves need to have glass doors;
#2--A built-in, big dollhouse will replace the settee;
#3--Need a built-in ladder to reach the top shelves (I'm only 5'3");
#4--On the other side of the room will be more shelves, some with drawers for doll clothes, accessories, and other collectibles;
#5--A comfy table and chairs in the middle of the room so I can work-on ooak's, restoring dolls, or changing clothes;
#6--I will keep everything white so the basement room is light and airy;
#7--Cushions on the floor for play.

Play is important for children and adults alike. I follow Huizinga's book, Homo Ludens, and embrace my fun, playful side. Here's a blurb from Wikipedia about his theory:

Homo Ludens or "Man the Player" (alternatively, "Playing Man") is a book written in 1938 by Dutch historian and cultural theorist Johan Huizinga. It discusses the importance of the play element of culture and society. Huizinga suggests that play is primary to and a necessary (though not sufficient) condition of the generation of culture.
 Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.


Go play today!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment